Total Kaos
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Total Kaos

A moshpit of mayhem, madness and music.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it?

Go down 
+7
Sim
Viking
Chaz
Davo
Donnie
Admin/Luka
Maxine
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Maxine

Maxine

Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it? Empty
PostSubject: Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it?   Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 1:54 am

Joe and I aren't married, even though we have been together for well over 10 years. We've often had friends question why we've never taken the next step, but just recently we seem to have been hounded by even total strangers about why we don't formalise the arrangement.

Anyone else feel the pressure to conform? What's wrong with the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
Back to top Go down
Admin/Luka
Admin
Admin/Luka

PostSubject: Re: Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it?   Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 4:03 pm

My mother is the only one who gives me grief over it, but thankfully she was born and raised here in Australia so unlike some mates, I've never had the pressure of parents wanting to ship out a nice Italian virgin with the view to her becoming the newest addition to the family. If it's something you both feel is important yeah sure, but I'd be just as happy in a commited relationship, minus the little bit of paper.
Back to top Go down
https://kaos.rpg-board.net
Donnie

Donnie

PostSubject: Re: Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it?   Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 3:38 am

Being Catholic and Italian, was always expected of us. My mother had an absolute fit when my son was born out of wedlock, but she's just had to accept that its my life and as an adult I do what is right for me. Got no desire to get married. If the love of my life arrived on my doorstep tomorrow I'd happily commit and be a faithful schmuck but I'm not taking a trip down the aisle any time soon.
Back to top Go down
Davo

Davo

PostSubject: Re: Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it?   Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:33 am

Been engaged, never married. Divorce rates are so high and both events are such a costly practice not sure why people still want to do it. (unless its for religious reasons). Makes more sense to me to take the mega bucks it would cost you to get married and use it on a mortgage or something. Who really needs all the fancy trimmings if you are simply declaring publically that you want to spend your life with that person.
Back to top Go down
Chaz

Chaz

PostSubject: Re: Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it?   Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:08 am

It's not something that I feel is a necessity to make a relationship complete. If she was the woman I wanted to spend the rest of my life with and it was important to her though, then yeah I'd take the plunge. But it would be a decision we decided together and not the influences of friends or family.
Back to top Go down
Viking

Viking

PostSubject: Re: Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it?   Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:47 am

I'll marry the day I find the one I feel I will live the rest of my life with and that I truelly believe that we can make each other happy.......... my current gf through 15 years and the mother of a son and daughter of mine is definately not the one........... regarding pressure. nah................. atheists all of us
Back to top Go down
Sim

Sim

PostSubject: Re: Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it?   Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 4:36 am

Been married briefly once before and although I know logically that marriage didn't kill the relationship I do admit I am gunshy about remarrying again as things didn't start to go wrong for us until we had that silly little bit of paper. Actually things started to go wrong when we started planning the wedding and found ourselves bickering about everything from the number of guests to the colour of the invites. We should have seen the red flags and stopped then and just gone back to enjoying each others company.

Have to say to Viking though, after 15 years with the one woman isn't that marriage in every essence apart from the actual ceremony? And if you've given 15 years to a relationship that isn't right at what point do you become selfish and leave? Can't be doing either of you any good.

And the nosy bitch of the day award goes to SIM Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it? 464417
Back to top Go down
Benj

Benj

PostSubject: Re: Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it?   Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:49 pm

I did feel pressured around the age of 25, mainly because that's when the majority of my female friends decided it was time to fornicate legally in the eyes of their parents, and spent the better part of 18 months all trying to outdo each other seeing who could have the most lavish wedding. Never been big on my list of priorities although I was engaged for a long time. A marriage license isn't going to stop someone cheating or lying or staying with you until death you do part after all, so not being deeply religious I've never seen the point. The only thing I do know for certain is that if I ever did decide to take the plunge, I'd be grabbing a couple of witnesses and standing barefoot on a beach somewhere, or sneaking off and doing it on the quiet and coming back and announcing it to everyone. Don't need the fancy dress or the expensive flowers or the grandiose reception. If you are truly in love with the person, then surely pledging to work together in this thing called life is the only essential that you need.
Back to top Go down
Sunnyangel

PostSubject: Re: Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it?   Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 12:06 am

I'd like to have a partner that I can see myself growing old with but don't need all the pomp and ceremony to make it 'legal'.
Back to top Go down
Ant

Ant

PostSubject: Re: Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it?   Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 7:21 am

To some extent. Doesn't mean I have any intention of settling just to appease the family.
Back to top Go down
Zeph

Zeph

PostSubject: Re: Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it?   Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 12:05 am

Seen too many mates suffer through divorce to feel the need to go down that path myself. Live with someone yes, but I'd probably balk at making it official.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it?   Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Social Pressure to get married - Do you feel it?
Page 1 of 1